Pages

Saturday 6 October 2012

Iron Chef Challenge #1

Beetroot. I do not like it. (I probably am the most pickiest vegan!) But I only know it as going in salads and being covered in vinegar, and the purple just put me off I guess. Food shouldn't be purple unless its a cake! I remember seeing something about a beetroot risotto somewhere on the internet a few months ago though and well it sounded like the easiest thing ever. For some strange reason I'd actually picked up beetroot on the weekly shop, purely because I was intrigued to see if I still hated it and it was just a happy coincidence it was the secret ingredient for this weeks Iron Chef Challenge.
Alright alright, i know!I got it pre-done in a box, it's my own fault it was soaked in vinegar and whatever else you want to rub in my face! Plus the annoying fact I was stupid enough to let it stain my hands, although I suppose that didn't matter since I went on to tie dye some sheets purple after this. 

I must admit it was pretty exciting mixing the beetroot, garlic and onions in and for the rice to take on this colour. Not going to lie, I felt like I was about to eat princess food...

To avoid the risotto breaking or getting too dry i added 4 tablespoons of soya cream and 4 tablespoons of Tofutti cream cheese. There was still that slight hint of vinegar but it went just right! This was also ready in 20 minutes, unlike the 1 hour or so it usually takes to do risotto. 






1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy! Nothing wrong with princess food (and just in time for breast cancer awareness month)!

    ReplyDelete